Friday, December 3, 2010

The Holiday Diet




This is the season that my wife makes soups and stews every week. And I love soup! I like all kinds of soup but I especially like hearty soups. Given the opportunity I will eat soup until I am so full that I am uncomfortable. It’s rare that I ever say “Oh that’s enough, I’m satisfied I couldn’t east another spoonful!” Even that happens I always wish I could eat more! I’m rarely stated when it comes to soup! And don’t get me started about Thanksgiving and Christmas Feasts!



I wish I could say the same thing about God. I would love to sit here and tell you that my appetite for God is rarely sated, that I desire another helping and another until I am so full of God that I’m uncomfortable and have to share Him with those around me.



Truthfully, I have to admit that there are times I am more than satisfied with as small of a portion of God as I can get away with.



I don’t want to be a glutton when it comes to God or his things or his will. You see I’m on a God diet. I don’t want to become a heavyweight when it comes to spiritual matters. I practice portion control! Unlike John (known as the Baptiser) my prayer is not more of Jesus and less of me. Rather Its a rousing chorus of more of me and less of you, Oh Lord. And God could you re-align my vegetable intake just enough to keep me healthy and my doctor happy?



My gluttony problem is me!



The portion control I need to be practicing is less of me and the things I want – my school, my job, my spouse, my house, my money.



This holiday season perhaps I need to go on a diet of me and you do, too! When we do I think we will develop a taste for God.



9 Reverence for the LORD is pure, lasting forever. The laws of the LORD are true; each one is fair.
10 They are more desirable than gold, even the finest gold. They are sweeter than honey, even honey dripping from the comb.
Psalm 19:9-10 (NLT)


Please pass me some more



Pastor Val

No comments: