Saturday, July 24, 2010

Stop & Go!



I love the Great Commission as it is laid out in Matthew 28:18-20.



18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
Matthew 28:18-20 (NIV)


The first part of the commission is the command of motion – Go!



If you are like me I hate waiting. When I’m in a car and we get in a traffic jam, I’m always looking for a way around the mess. My wife will tell you that I often say “I’d rather be moving than just sitting here waiting!” Movement is always better than non-movement.



Now the truth of the matter is that often if I had just been more patient and waited, I’d have gotten to my destination sooner then taking the detour I chose to take!



In Acts 1:4b-5 Jesus gives his disciples additional instructions about this commission thing.



4 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about.
5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."
Acts 1:4-5 (NIV)


Before they can go they have to wait. Wait until God does something special. Wait until they are properly prepared for the mission he has planned for them.



You see we often want to rush in and get busy, when God tells us to wait on him so he can renew our strength.



If the disciples had failed to obey Jesus’ command to wait, they would have failed! Failed in their assigned task to make disciples in all the world. Why? Because they would have gone to work without the power of the Holy Spirit.



The Greek word used here is dynamis. We get our words dynamite and dynamics from this Greek word. Dynamis is not potential power, nor is it stored up power. Rather it indicates power already in motion. Power at work and we get to tap into it!



The supernatural power of God is ours to use. We become conducts of his power, but it took time to prepare for the disciples were able to tap into this God power that the Holy Spirit provides.



The mission the disciples were given and that is still ours today can not be accomplished in our own strength. It can only be accomplished through the power of the Holy Spirit.



Sometimes we need to wait upon the Lord and his time, Sometimes waiting is a good thing… even when it drive me crazy!



Almost around the bend,



Pastor Val


No comments: